Re: DeLorean Shipping

Yeah - find a closer car. The following generalizations are meant as
some thoughts on buying DeLoreans and may or may not apply to your
situation. There are always exceptions.

It always amazes me that people ship cars across the country, sight
unseen, when there are so many cars for sale everywhere. Someone in
my town, for example, recently imported a car from Texas when there
are at least two of them for sale within 50 miles at similar price and
condition.

Transportation adds hundreds of dollars (to over a thousand) to the
purchase price, why not raise your budget a like amount and look
closer to home? Even if the car is as-described, I'd rather see an
added $1000 in value in the car itself instead of paid to a
transporter company. That $1000 could buy a lot of parts, or a better
car to start with, but as transport cost it adds absolutely nothing
to the value of the car. At a minimum spend the $800 on an airplane
ticket and go see and drive the car first. If it passes muster drive
it home, if not fly back and be glad you didn't make a mistake.

This may not be a popular view but personally I'd never buy a car
sight unseen unless it was at the parts-car level and price, i.e. not
much to lose. It's too hard to see some of the significant problem
areas, especially on cars that have "lived" in an environment that
you are unfamiliar with.

In your case, being in AZ a problem is that you may have never seen
what a Northern car can look like underneath. I'm working on one
right now that looks great, never been out in the sun for longs
periods of time, interior etc. immaculate, but the frame is absolute
toast from road salt. Southern cars can be the opposite - fried
interior but perfect frame. And issues caused by long-term storage
and lack of maintenance can happen anywhere. Most sellers try to be
honest but you really owe it to yourself to know what you are
getting.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "captain_hydrogen"