air conditioning related overheating

Hi group. I've recently developed a sporadic overheating problem. It may
have been around longer, but since it appears to be related to the only
recently fixed air conditioning, it's only recently popped up.

Most of the time, I'm just fine. If the AC is off, my temperature gauge
is solid on the first line above the bottom and does not fluctuate at all.
If I turn on the AC, it'll move up above that line just a little, but no
more than I would expect with the additional load and heat dissipation.

But every now and then, particularly if I've been sitting still, I'll look
down and find the gauge has creeped up into the red zone. Here's the
funny part, though. If I turn off the AC, the gauge will drop back to
normal within seconds. If I turn the AC back on at that point, I'm
usually fine again, although after a while (and a few more stops), it may
start to creep up again.

This car has persistent low voltage at idle problems, but I don't think
bad enough to cause enough slowdown of the cooling fans to cause this kind
of a problem. I am fairly certain the cooling fans are running when they
should be, although since this problem only pops up when the AC is
running, I can't easily hear them. I have checked the breaker to make
sure it's the upgraded 40 A.

I'm going to be replacing my steering rack this weekend, and will check
all the usual suspects for cooling problems... thermostat, otterstat, air
in the system, etc., but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific
ideas, given the apparent relationship to my air conditioning (which is
filled with R134a, FWIW).

As a side note, #4115 just rolled over 50,000 miles the other day. It
actually went over 50K at least a couple of thousand miles ago, because I
know the angle drive was broken for its trip here from California, and who
knows how much more of its former life, but we'll pretend those miles
don't exist.

Thanks.

-andrew
Houston TX