Kit car fanatics over here have been breaking Renault 30's for years because of the versatility of the engine and drivetrain, AND the fact that the gearbox can handle so much - in excess of 500hp without any problems.... The R30 has a higher final drive. The gearbox is identical except its crown gear is on the other side for front wheel drive.

It was all the economy drive in the DeLorean's design that left us with amaemic power form a very capable engine, and a gearbox that's got ratios that would normally be found in a diesel. You can do something about both. DMCH have sorted out a better engine and exhaust - why not raise the final drive and give yourself better acceleration at the same time as relieving some of the load off your stock transmission's input shaft? The parts are still available.

Martin

Dave Swingle wrote:

The only person I've heard of truly snapping input shafts is the guy who was at Memphis with the 350 Chevy engine in the car - and based on his driving style it was not completely surprising. I have to admit that it is impressive to see a DMC smoke the tires on dry pavement, however. That fact that he could do this more than once without breaking things was impressive too.

Dave S