Re: [DML] Engine Swap-Out

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Duke. Anything that takes over a year
to do I would not consider "EXTREMELY easy". I distinctly remember a
post on the DML when you were trying to sell your car becuase you were
tired of the swap.

I'm sure there are some swaps that cost less and some that cost more.
For that matter, I don't know anyone that spent MORE than me on an engine
swap/upgrade- about $15k. I suppose the northstar conversion is more
expensive though, but I don't know anyone that has paid the $20k for the
conversion. All said and done though, I got an engine out of a car that
cost $40k in 1990 (Mazda Eunos Cosmo) and a transmission out of a car
that cost $40k in 1995 (Porsche 993).

Like I've said before, sometimes an engine swap is the best solution to
some of the D's problems. A lot of times, taking care of the PRV will be
cheaper in the long run, as well as maintaining "collector status".

I found myself in the same position as you, why dump so much money into
20 year old technology?

Sooner or later most "driven" D's will have upgraded engines. I hear a
lot about changing engines to other types, but who's heard of changing
the engine TO the PRV (3.0, 2.5L not included). So the driven D's will
continue to be driven, and the collector D's will continue to sit on
blocks or be driven on Sundays.

Jim

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:41:47 -0500 "Me" <at88mph@xxxx>
writes:
> Marc,
>
> Yep, I was the one who put a '94 Vortec 4.3 in my DeLorean. The cost
was
> actually under $3k and I did all the work myself.
> When I started my swap, alot of people told me it
> wouldn't be feasible/cost effective to put a Chevy engine in the
> DeLorean...well, truth be told, it was EXTREMELY easy to put the
> Chevy engine in there. In fact, if I would have known how easy it was,
> would have done it a LONG time ago. My issue was that the DeLorean was
> always giving me problems and I just wanted a fun car to drive.

> Every week
> though it seemed something was wrong with it or something would break
then,
> I'd have to wait for a few days for parts and pay out the $$$. Now, I
> know alot of people will defend the DeLorean and say "How can you say
that?
> I've never had a problem out of mine!!?!" Well, good...that may be
true for
> you but it wasn't the case for me and that's why I went for the swap.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!