Re: [DML] Engine Swap-Out

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Michael T Twigger wrote:

> Does anyone know what is included in the $20k Northstar 4.6 V8
> conversion?
> The engine is priced at around 10k so what else is included?

The entire job, start to finish. You deliver them a DeLorean, they give
you a fully running, fully functional, drive-it-home DeLorean with a
Northstar engine.

The Northstar conversion is a professional job that you don't have to
worry about, that (IIRC) preserves the A/C and other amenities, doesn't
add a ton of weight, and Just Works. Sure, the conversion probably costs
more than the car, but you can't underestimate the amount of trouble you
will get yourself into doing an engine swap. It always costs more and
takes longer than you think.

Also, my take on the transmission issue, is that when it comes to breaking
transmissions, driving style matters a lot more than the amount of power
you put in the transmission. If you're gentle, don't speed shift or drop
the clutch, the transmission will hold up to a lot more power. And even
then, torque matters a lot more than HP. If your motor is a big torque
monster like a smallblock V8, you need a tougher transmission than if it
is a high-revving motor with most of the power up high. The Northstar,
despite being a V8, is still fairly gentle on the parts.