Re: [DML] Re: Engine Swap-Out (Rice Burners)

Re: [DML] Re: Engine Swap-Out (Rice Burners)

In a message dated 9/29/03 6:16:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
brobertson@xxxx writes:

> Too high octance won't cause pre-ignition, but it can cause a fouled
> miss. If engine isn't high compression, or high temp, factory ignition
> may not yield enough burn time. Isn't time on these new cars computer
> controlled (non-adjustable)?

No distributor on most vehicles made since the early/mid 90's. now it's coil
packs, kind of like a digital distributor. the EP-ROM (i think) gives the
ignition system its timing information. i suppose when you buy a 'performance
chip' the timing is modified to accomodate other changes.

> Most of the rice burners I encounter are running stock exhaust
> manifolds. Backpressure doesn't drop until rediculously loud muffler.

my experience exactly.

> Isn't stock DeLo already 9 seconds or so 0-60?

yes, if it is running right:-)
Andy