Re: Emission Testing: NOx

1500 sounds about right for emmissions test limit on an 81 but the D
should pass at less than 1000. You are probably as you suspect
running too lean. This could occur with some failed fuel mechanicals
or a combination like a bad oxygen sensor and vacuum leaks. You
didn't say what the CO, HC and CO2 readings were. These readings can
provide some clues also. Are you sure the frequency valve is working
by checking the wires and being sure it is buzzing?

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "George Ryerson" <TRyerson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a yellow painted '83 in Akron Ohio and ran into some
problems last
> Friday when trying to get through the emissions testing in Akron.
In
> previous tests since 1997, when I bought the car, it passed with
flying
> colors. This time though apparently the Ohio tests now include NO
( nitrogen
> oxides ) testing which my car failed with a reading of 1650
against a max
> allowable of 1500 ( I believe ).
>
> If anyone out there has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate
hearing them
> as all I can think to do is to richen up the mixture a little as
NOx is