KEYS PLEASE!

Hello- This is my first post. I am the new owner of an 83
(Finally!). I was given one key, in poor condition. I'd like to
have another "code cut" rather than have my one key copied. I read
messages 34023, 34063, and 34933 and cannot find a code written above
the driver's door headliner. Is there somewhere else I can look? If
not, where else can you get the code for the key? If I have no
choice but to copy my one key, what blank do I specify? Message
34063 talks about an Ilco blank X29. Message 34933 talks about
a "Lowes" blank 38. Naturally, I would prefer code-cut. Can anyone
point me in the right direction on this? Many thanks, NM