Re: Changing Final Drive fluid ALSO other maintenence

Re: Changing Final Drive fluid ALSO other maintenence

It is not so important to change it. Think of it like the differential
(rear end) in an ordinary car. The oil doesn't break down and it
doesn't get full of products of combustion, it is just a gearbox. Most
important is to make sure the level is correct. Since the car is 20 +
years old and you don't know when it was changed last or what was put
in it, it is no big deal to change it. 85/90# gear oil is what to put
in. You do need the adapter to remove the drain and fill plugs and
inspect the drain plug for any debris if it is the magnet type. If it
isn't you can order one and get some new copper washers. You should
drive the car before draining to get the oil warm-hot so it drains
easier and all the dirt is in suspension so it comes out with the old oil.

What is of greater importance is the brake fluid. If it hasn't been
changed in along time when you do change it you will probably soon
find the calipers and master cylinder leaking. Expect to do a COMPLETE
cooling system service replacing EVERY hose, water pump, belts, pulley
bearings, thermostat, gaskets, and seals. In many cars these [arts are
still the origionals!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 9/7/03 5:38:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
> johnnysher1@xxxx writes:
>
> > Hi. I've been preparing myself mentally for my purchase which looks
> > to be in January. I've been reading my parts and workshop manuals
> > and saw that on an automatic, (that's what I'm getting), there is a
> > final drive fluid that needs to be checked/changed. What my question
> > is: does this need to be changed as often as the trans fluid and what
> > type of oil is used for it? I didn't even know about it until I read
> > more of the workshop manual.
> >
> > That what scares me the most - finding stuff I had no idea even
> > existed in the Delorean that needs maintenance.
> >
> > Johnny
>
> the owner's manual says to change the final drive oil more or less
nd my carpets shampooed every spring when i take the car out of storage.