Re: [DML] Changing Final Drive fluid ALSO other maintenence

johnnysher1@xxxx writes:

> Hi. I've been preparing myself mentally for my purchase which looks
> to be in January. I've been reading my parts and workshop manuals
> and saw that on an automatic, (that's what I'm getting), there is a
> final drive fluid that needs to be checked/changed. What my question
> is: does this need to be changed as often as the trans fluid and what
> type of oil is used for it? I didn't even know about it until I read
> more of the workshop manual.
>
> That what scares me the most - finding stuff I had no idea even
> existed in the Delorean that needs maintenance.
>
> Johnny

the owner's manual says to change the final drive oil more or less every 15K
miles with the transmission oil every 30K. the oil is your typical 80w90 or
75w90 gear oil. you can probably get away with changing it every 2 years if it
is not your primary vehicle.

actually i have a maintence schedule that i follow each year. i divide most
services into 2 year intervals, but i change the engine oil once or twice a
year depending on how many miles i put on it.

first year:
change brake fluid and clutch fluid (GTLMA)
change manual trans oil.
change oil, grease chassis (4 fittings on mine)
check air filter (K&N).

second year:
change antifreeze.
change fuel filter
change oil, grease chassis.
check air filter.

each service time takes most of the afternoon. i will also make sure my strut
mounts are tight for the doors, lubricate the power antenna and other struts
and hinges, check my suspension struts for leaks, check for brake or other
disastrous leaks. each time i clean my interior i also put conditioner on my
door weatherstripping.

i try to remember to check my tires for proper pressure once or month or
before i go on a trip or take it out of storage.

for other maintenece, i always remove my nose bra when i wash the car (always
by hand) and clean the bra. when i wash the car i make sure to spray out the
suspension and the frame, as well as lightly spraying the dust off the engine
and using universal dressing for a fresh and shiny look on my repainted
intake manifold and valve covers. I clean the interior with DMC leather care or
Hide Food every month or two depending on usage. i also get the motor steam
cleaned and my carpets shampooed every spring when i take the car out of storage.
every other year i use the blending pad to rebrush the stainless. i detail
the side molding, tires, and all other outside plastic piece with eagle-1 tire
dressing which works awesome since it is UV protectant. between washes i use
windex to freshen up the body from dust (even though the car is usually covered
in my garage when i'm not using it.

If you love your car, you won't look at this stuff as a chore or a hassle,
but rather a time for you to get away from the stresses of your regular life and
show your car how much you love it! you will also save money and time by
maintaining your fluids properly.

Andy