Re: [DML] Delorean Question

The main difference between the DeLorean and these cars is that to own a DeLorean requires that you be absolutely in love with it. If you're not, you'll get aggrevated by it and sell it within a year or two. Why is this so? The DeLorean is a car that has been extinct for over two decades, and never had the research and development that it required to begin with. Like fellow list member Bill Robertson often says... we're driving around in glorified prototypes. What this amounts to is you'll spend a lot of time and money getting a DeLorean into good running shape (they're 20+ years old!), fixingthe cars original flaws, and keeping it running after you get it driveable. Once you get the car sorted out, you can be assured it will last longer than you will... they're actually quite stout little cars. There are many DeLoreans with over 150,000 miles... and I'm sure there are a couple with over 200,000 miles.

A while back I pulled into the post office... and a Viper pulled in behind me. When we pulled into our parking spaces, people stared at my car, and flocked around it, and ignored the Viper. The difference between the DeLoreanand any other "exotic" in the world is that it is uniquely approachable. If you want a fast car, look elsewhere. The DeLorean is about as fast as your average SUV in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The Viper and NSX have the benefit of 20 years newer suspension technology too... so again they'll run circles around the DeLorean. The Viper and NSX offer open air Targa/convertible fun... in the DeLorean you're pretty much locked inside with only tiny little windows linking you to the outside world. If all you want is flash, the car will give that to you... but I'd again look elsewhere if that's your aim. So the DeLorean really doesn't beat out any of these cars in any other way. To be a DeLorean owner you have to be a somewhat eccentric person I suppose. And as I said before you have to really really love the car... because it will try as hard as it can to make you hate it. I'm not trying to scare you off... I'm just giving you fair warning of what's ahead! :-)

Louie Golden
VIN 10115

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>