Re: [DML] Delorean Question

dan_mcnasby@xxxx writes:

> I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know what are
> the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars (basically, why
> buy the delorean over the following) are:
>
> 1. 1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
>
> 2. 1995 Acura NSX
>
> Why is the DeLorean better to own than the above cars?
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Dan

OK, here is my opinion....

1. Mint condition fully updated and loaded DeLorean with all options is less
initial cost than either one.
2. DeLorean has far greater sex appeal, not to mention the waves, stares,
laughs, and thumbs-up
3. DeLorean doesn't blend into traffic like both of the above
4. DeLoreans do not depreciate, in fact some would argue they are on an
upswing?
5. Don't know much about their owner's groups, but DeLorean owner clubs are
unbelievable as far as the friendliness and dedication to each other's general
car-welfare.
6. how can you resist an always rust-free body (and frame if you upgrade to
an SS one)?
7. Gullwing doors are way cool.
8. people with little auto background are able to do 90% of their own
maintenence and repairs with basic tools and a single manual. doubtful on a viper or
NSX
9. insurance is very reasonable for most people.
10. free tech support and a pleasant conversation are just a single 800
number away
11. simply a cult classic car... and it's worth putting in a car show! why
put a car that you can still walk onto a dealer's lot and buy into a show? i
never understood why some people think it's ok.
12. you can be reasonably sure that you won't see another DeLorean besides
your own very frequently because hey! they don't make them anymore!

On the other hand, if all you care about is speed and burning rubber, the NSX
has at least twice the hp while the viper has at least 3x the hp (and 4 more
pistons...). also both are much more suitable for add-on performance
accessories, with dealership service to boot. if you want to go drag race, you will
be extremely disappointed with the DeLorean. it is a luxury car, not a street
burner. the DeLorean is for the true car-lover. in some ways, it is more
exclusive because it exercises more restaint in certain areas?

In my opinion, the NSX is a good balance between the two. while it will
never be as infamous or endearing as the DeLorean, it is truely a beautiful car, a
silky engine, and very top quality refined interior and handling. not a race
car like a ferrari, but a fast, low-slung japanese-quality sportscar.
besides - JZD himself owns/owned one. in fact i might pick one up myself someday...

these are just my own opinions and you are free to take them as you will.

Andy