Re: [DML] Starting is such sweet sorrow

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I might help if I give you a little more background on the problem.
When I first bought the car it was running very, very rich. The CO
had already been adjusted (plug was removed) when I drove the car
home day one. I have since then replaced the plug with the DMC
Houston replacement. After installing most of the parts in the PJ
Grady service kit, I adjusted the CO mixture to keep it from
smoking. When cranking while not using starter fluid I don't smell
unburned fuel and the fumes don't run me away (anymore). Once
started the car runs very smooth at idle. If you slowly give it gas
the car will rev all the way to redline (well it could if I tried).
While the car has about 16 gallons an new gas in the system, I know
there is some gas left in from were it was sitting. This old gas
might explain why when you really get on the throttle fast the car
will spit and sputter a little. For all I know that bit of old gas
might be my starting problem. The idle micro switch seems to be
adjusted and working properly (click, click, click). As far as the
car having lots of power while driving, I really couldn't answer
this. My car is an automatic and I have only rode in a few DeLoreans
that were running properly (all manual). I have been adding fuel
system cleaner as a fuel it up, but I haven't got it out enough to
really get the new gas and cleaner worked through the system. I
guess I will get it out this weekend and see how it does.

Thanks Again!

Jai
2812

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok, if it won't turn over when warm except with starting fluid then
> it's not your cold start valve.
>
> If it's your control pressure regulator being stuck in a "warm"
> condition I would expect the engine to run a little rough until it
> warms up. Is this the case? No...because when the engine is warm it
> still won't start. Hm. Ok so the CPR may be WAY out of whack then.
>
> As Dave has said, ensure that the setscrew is closing the idle
> microswitch when the throttle plates are at rest. If your idle
> regulator is cut out of the ckt, it may not have enough air to
start.
> (choked off?)
>
> Ensure the idle regulator isn't stuck. Make sure it buzzes (That
> doesn't prove much tho. mine was a rusted piece of junk and it
buzzed)
> The valve should open all the way, then slowly close over a period
of
> 3-5 seconds when you first energize it. (Key pos II or "run").
(Again,
> choked off)
>
> When cranking, and NOT using starter fluid, do you smell a lot of
> unburned fuel? When it's running do the fumes drive you away?
(Flooding?)

> How well does it drive? Lots of power? Smooth idle? (Too lean)
>
> I would check these things BEFORE messing with the CO screw. It's
such
> a pain to set.
>
> I think you have no air, or not enough fuel to start. But we'll see
> what your answers are.
>
> Rich
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman@xxxx>
wrote:
> > this may sound silly...but you did check the condition of the
inertia
> > switch right?
> >
> > I guess if that were the problem, you wouldn't be able to keep
the car
> > running once you got it started.
> >
> > Oh well...just a thought.
> >
> > Let us know what it ends up being,
> > Josh
> > VIN 5102
> > VIN 15964
> > Ken's VIN 5609 (parts car...get it while it's here...ebaying has
begun)

> > freakybeetle wrote:
> >
> > >I have spent the last few weeks getting my DMC tuned up after
years
> > >of not being driven. The car gets better every time I work on
it, but
> > >there is still something that I haven't been able to work out.
The