Re: Idle speed

You are correct, there is a spring on the throttle plate shaft. On
many of the cars that have problems in the throttle linkage
(especially high mileage cars) the wrong things get tight and the
other wrong things get loose! I find that even with the spring the
throttle plates aren't always closing consistantly against the
throttle stop when the quadrant link is worn. The main point to my
last post is that any play or looseness can be the cause of the
throttle not hitting the micro switch and starting up the idle motor
system. Before getting deep into a complicated electical system make
sure it is not some simple mechanical problem in the first place! If
the throttle cable itself is tight then that could prevent the
throttle from retuning all the way to idle. I have also seen where the
accelerator pedal bracket has bent because the cable is tight. When
the pedal bracket bends you cannot open the throttle all the way. A
simple check: have an assistant hold the pedal all the way down while
you watch the throttle spool, it should just trip the Wide Open
Throttle switch without smacking it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757