Re: Idle speed

If you are having a lot of trouble getting the motor to idle down and
you have to hit the pedal to do it one thing to check is the "quadrant
link". It is the piece that connects the throttle spool to the
throttle plates. It is a short link with a ball fitting on each end (a
miniature version of the type on the struts) with a left and right
hand thread (1 on each end) for a very precise fit. I have seen a lot
of cars that have a lot of play in the ball sockets and on 1 high
mileage car the ball on the throttle spool was rocking back and forth!
With that much play in the throttle linkage you aren't always getting
the engine back to idle. The whole linkage must move freely with as
little play as possible. I also see were the throttle cable needs to
be lubricated and on some cars the wire was fraying by the throttle
spool. The moral here is before you go condeming the idle system you
need to have all the simple stuff working right. BTW do not try to
remove the quadrant link without first removing the locking pins (just
like the struts)! It would be a good idea to lubricate these points
once in a while. Lubricate the throttle cable as per the throttle
cable recall with anti-freeze. I try not to get into control theory
but for those that do understand it they would leave the idle system
stock and fix the "real" problem and not blame the idle system for
something it cannot do. As for vacuum leaks if the valve covers or
timing covers are affecting you idle quality check the fittng inside
the neck by the breather. It is supposed to limit the vacuum intoduced
into the crankcase sort of like a pcv valve. If it is missing or has
been enlarged then you are loosing too much vacuum into the crankcase.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757