idle problem

This problem usually only happens on cold starts. After starting my
81 D the engine races up and down. At an idle in park it sounds like
someone
is pushing up and down on the gas peddel. When you put it in drive it
still happens but not as bad. Sometimes I can rev the motor to around
4000 RPM's a few times and it quits. After the motor warms up a bit
it stops. I know for sure I have a vacaum leak, John Harvey is
putting
together a silicone hose set to replace my old ones. Would a vacaum
leak cause this type of problem? If not, Anyone know what would cause
this?
Thanks
Jonas 3543