Re: Rear View Mirror

If you carefully bend the mirror down, you can pop it off of the
mounting ball. Then pop the new mirror off of its mount, and pop it
on the old one. That way you dont need to mess with glueing or
sticking the new mount to the windshield. Nothing ever seems to
hold up as well as the factory does it.

Why do I know this? Anyone remember that "electrochromatic" (auto-
dimming) mirror that Walt kept talking about a while back? Well I
too wanted to put one in my D. So I went to a junkyard, and got one
off of a GM car for $10, (as apposed to the $150+ cost for a new
generic unit). I then needed to figure out how to mount it, so per
the advise of a friend, I was able to disassemble the new mirror,
and remove all mounting accessories from the mirror. I then
reassembled it, and had a mount-less mirror. Next I popped off my
stock mirror, did a hack job on it (I know, I know), and epoxied the
ball-receptacle onto the back of the new mirror. I then simply
popped it back on my stock mount, and I was done! Since my
headliners still arn't back on the car, I temporarily wired the
mirror into the dome light wires untill I get a more permenent
installation. It works nice, but it could dim a little darker for
my tastes.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960 <--Now with auto-dimming mirror, soon to have compass/ext
temp display, and dual express up/down power windows.