Re: Monroes and Gabriels

The weight does have some affect, but the springs have the most
impact when choosing shocks. I have found that the springs on a D
take a LOT of shock to dampen the ride both compression and rebound.
Wimpy shocks will let the car bounce all over the place - probably
from the short wheel base rather than the weight disribution. Even
though I think Grady's shock are great and Marty's rear shock set up
is ideal for day to day driving - the best front shocks are the OEM
shocks in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to have a pair that is
actually NOS that was stored correctly that I put on - I hope they
can last a while.

The reason is the rebound - slow and smooth. Marty's front shocks
have a tendency to accentuate the rear rebound and make the car feel
like it was going up and down too fast. They would also allow the
front suspension to compress completely (bottom out) and were just
too soft for me (the roads are harsh around here). My car has
Grady's front springs so I can't speak for stock springs. The rear
shocks from Marty have a softer rebound and compression than
DeLorean OEM. OEM shocks are stout shocks and when they wear out
they tend to get harsh and not compress smoothly - so my car was
pounding and banging on every bump with worn out OEM's.

Marty's rears have a tendency to allow the rear to move up or
rebound a little too fast but I can live with it because the
compression is soft enough to give me some spring action on the
harsh NJ roads. I could also lower the rear one half inch to give me
a balance and not mess up the rear alignment. So, I now have what I
consider the best ride I have ever had in a DeLorean and that is
nearly 200,000 miles worth over the years. Of course, smooth roads
and super highways are a nice ride on just about any shock. I was
looking on line at the DMCH shocks - $800 for the full set, wow. Has
anyone tried them out?

Harold McElraft - 3354