Lug Nuts (was Details, details)

I haven't had this problem on the D, so there may be a different way
of getting around this issue, but on my aluminum, deep well wheels on
my Jeep Wrangler I had this very same problem.

Mine was caused by the tire mechanic running down the lugs to full
torque with the pnuematic wrench and with out doing it in steps. In
the process the mech warped the wheel as it mounts to the rotor.

I tried everything and ended up having to have it cut with a welding
torch, which ruined the wheel.

First though, they tried to used a tool they got from Matco tools
(Sears catalogue sells it too). It uses a hammering drill with an
insert (3/8" drive) to cut into and grab the nut, while at the same
time hammering to break it free.

I observed the mechanic trying to get it off and one thing I would
have him try differently, is to leave all the lug nuts on and torqued
and try to loosen the bad lug(s) first with the tool.

I believe the D wheels are aluminum too. The mech heated the lug stud
with the torch and it eventually snapped. Unfortunatly, aluminum
melts sooner than steel, so the wheel was ruined. My problem was
covered by the tire store. You can ask the tire store if they can
refer you to a place to try to get this done.

You can try applying the "soaking with penetrant and heating" methods
used for cooling system/exhaust bolts/studs as well (search the
archives).

Hope this helps.

Dan in Cocoa (3932)