Re: [DML] Delorean parting out parts available

Re: [DML] Delorean parting out parts available

In a message dated 8/7/2003 3:14:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DMCVegas@xxxx writes:

> To Ken K: I'm not trying to attack you, but I do disagree with you on
> both points: 1. The end value of the car can be much higher than what
> you are anticipating.

I have had a number of cars and I own 6 at this point all with the intent of
restoring.
This car will not nor never will be back to a high priced car without
extensive renovotion beyond what is reasonable in return.

Yes any car can be rebuilt but to put 20K plus initial investment and labor
into a car and have it worth $15 is not a good deal and those that have gone
through the exercise know that. I have a Jag I did that to and after $15K its
still worth about $4K and its far from perfect.

NADA right now puts fully restored/original

> vehicles at a value of almost $28,000.

I have two that are in that condition I would be willing to sell you right
now at that price. Check Hemmings its listed in May and June for $29,500.

Yes, it will require an > immense amount of work, but it can be done. 2. The
> car is worth
> saving. Even I realize that you can't just store a car until that
> perfect owner comes along wanting to restore it. And classic cars
> needing this much work won't always sell as quickly as road
> operational ones, especially automatics. But this could easily have
> been avoided simply by not purchasing the car.

This car has been looked at by others and all came to the same conclusion
prior to purchasing. They were not willing to pay the price and the parts on it
were worth the price if parted out.

> Which is the absolute,
> #1 cardinal rule when looking to buy a DeLorean. And if we learn
> nothing else, always remember it: *ALWAYS* inspect a car that you
> will potentially be buying IN PERSON FIRST BEFORE COMMITING TO
> PURCHASE!

You missed the point. This car was purchased as a parts car with the hope of
marrying it to another good one. I had potential buyers for the parts before
I even looked at it knowing it was trashed. Once I got it home I began to try
to find a way to get it back on the road because the little DeLorean
Leprechan inside was saying SAVE ME SAVE ME. Even the folks from Europe wanted in on
it but after discussions and such it was determined it is not in the cards. I
wanted a project car and was hopeful my initial evaluation was wrong. It
wasn't. I have passed on many.

In another part of your comments you said you don't give up on a patients

Ever hear of Hospice.

Words to live, and drive by.

By the way I appreciated you comments and as a DeLorean lover I too hate to
see a car dismantled.
But one important point
You haven't seen the car.

Everyone would love to see all DeLoreans live. But there is a certain amount
of mouse damage, age, weathering, water damage, and neglect that makes it
hard to just find a starting point.

I also have a 900 mile car that is in rough shape. That car will live again
as did the other three I restored. (2 to concours condition)

There is one thing to consider.

This car while mechanically trashed had a good set of body panels and many
other parts that are useable. The nickle and dime stuff were enormous as is the
wiring and a whole lot more. That made this car a higher priced car than the
mechanical condition warrented.
It was a potential car for Rich and for a California project in addition to a
doner to a car in an accident and a possible refurb in Europe and as a fire
restoration on a car with a good frame and burned interior. So it got a fair
chance all passed.

If I got it for about half the price I know it would still have ended up a
parts car. Given for free I probably would have mounted it on a platform and
made a statue out of it (just kidding)

Sorry you are so upset about it but I think 4 out of 5 trashed DeLoreans back
on the road for me is a pretty good record and the condition they came back
in is a tribute to what can be done to a car that has some potential to start.

Sorry but 5609 didn't.

The second of my refurbished cars will be in the next Concours and one is
featured in the Kruse auction this Labor day and I am hoping for $29K to $34K
for it althought this auction doesn't tend to do as well as Barret Jackson.

Ken