Re: [DML] alternator/volt gauge/a short....whats the score here

Re: [DML] alternator/volt gauge/a short....whats the score here

You need to buy a multimeter, or at least a voltmeter. First make sure
that the alternator is outputting an appropriate voltage. You can do
this by measuring between the (large wire) output terminal at the
alternator and ground (the engine block). If this isn't AT LEAST 13
volts, then you have an alternator problem. Normal running alternators
output about 14 or 14.5 volts. If yours is not in this range then you
may have a regulator or alternator coil failure. These can both be
replaced if there is a guy in your area that can/will do it. If the
voltage is OK then you follow the power wire for a drop in voltage.
Check from the alternator to the jump-start post (right side of engine
compartment), Also check the power connection behind the black cover on
the rear right of the engine bay. I had a loose wire in there once.

Jim