RE: [DML] What Tires to get??

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, michael townsley wrote:

> front's balanced I was told they were out of round. If Goodyear now
> makes a matched set...then I could perhaps change the fronts now and
> reduce the vibration and then replace the rears latter on.

Brand doesn't make as much difference as design. All manufacturers make
tires with all sorts of characteristics, so don't worry about getting
Goodyears!

The NCT's weren't all that hot when they were new. Now that they are over
20 years old, they're really not good. Almost anything would be better.

My advice is to replace all four tires, take the NCTs off and see if you
can sell them to someone who wants them for Concours. They're sure not
something you want to drive on, other than on and off the trailer! This
is especially true if they are out of round, because you will never get
the vibration to go away.

It's always better to get a matched set of tires, but if you mostly use
the car as a "cruiser" the primary difference will be in appearance. Even
so, definitely get matched tires if you can. Matched tires will often
perform better than unmatched tires of higher quality, especially in the
emergency handling department.