Re: [DML] Coolant system pressure test results

Re: [DML] Coolant system pressure test results

Let me get this strait.... you performed a pressure test BEFORE you ran the engine up after replacing the head gaskets?! Oh dear. The head gaskets have an adhesive in them which bonds the mating surfaces together and only works once the engine has been run up to temperature; the adhesive flows and the head gaskets are properly bonded. Now you've gone and forced water between them in places, you should seriously consider stripping them back down to dry them off and replace with new gaskets.

If it makes you feel any better I've done a similar thing where we had to strip one head off again after filling with coolant.

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

2. One -tiny- leak at a head mating surface in the "valley" on the driver side. It leaked at a rate of 3 bubbles per second, I was able to tighten it down to a rate of 1 bubble per 2 or 3 seconds. Perhaps when the metal expands, and contracts and I perform the re-tightening procedure, it will stop entirely.

3. One leak on the passenger side head towards the front of the car. Even smaller than the other one, I watched it actually stop leaking completely on it's own.