Re: [DML] Re: Timing is everything

Mate, this really isn't all that hard.

Look at the diagram - look at your chain. See the timing marks on the chains? All you have to do is line up the crank and cam so that the chain goes on with the timing marks in the right place! You don't have to get the crank and cam precisely lined up, as long as it's near enough that you can tell where the timing marks on the chains are supposed to be. If you have new chains with no timing marks , put them on a bench with the old timing marks - you should be able to see them (all the stock engine's I've stripped have marks on the chains, but I know Volvo ones don't come with them). Just get some tipp-ex and mark up your new chains before you put them on

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

I'm pretty sure, that that is what the book has me doing. The problem is, with #1 piston at TDC, when I rotate the cam to line up the driving pin and slot, a valve opens, striking the piston at TDC.

I -think- what I need to do, is lower the piston, rotate the cam to the 'tween point that the driving pin will line up, then, raise the piston to back to TDC and put the chain on.

Once that's done and I rotate the engine by hand, and #1 piston is going back down from TDC, the exhaust valve should open correct?

Right guys??? :)