Re: [DML] Re: Uh oh

...which would mean going out and buying a load of special tools he probably doesn't already have. I would be amazed if running your car for a few hundred miles on chicken soup instead of oil would have damaged the bearings enough to warrent a strip-down at this point.

Change the head gaskets, get the heads faced and checked, and bolt them back down with new gaskets. Make sure to clean up the surface of the block and liners before doing this. See how it runs when you've reassembled. I think you'll be happy.

The car I've mentioned in a previous post is now up and running. Almost 1/3rd of the contents of the sump was water. We've changed the head gaskets, had the heads refurbished, and done a lot of the usual servicy type stuff including fitting a new water pump.

Took her down the road last night for the first proper run and she "goes like a speeding bullet stuck in the back end of a bat out of hell!"

Martin

David Teitelbaum wrote:

If the motor had coolant in the oil and the motor had overheated I
would recommned pulling the engine down completely. You may not have
damaged the seals on the liners but the bearings could be wiped out.
Coolant in the oil makes for a terrible lubricant. At the very least
you just put more labor and a few more seals into the job. Better than
doing half a job and having to tear it all down again because you
didn't go deep enough the first time!
David Teitelbaum