Re: [DML] Re: Uh oh

The gaskets on the liners do not fail. The only time they fail is if you move the liners without the heads in place. If you're not careful, you can do this when removing the head.... The trick is to knock the front dowel down and break the gasket seal with a rotational movement rather than lifting them off. On the car we're working on now (engine work now finished) the heads were so bad the machine shop replaced all the valves and re-ground the seats. You couldn't tell from the gaskets where the problem was.

It's very important you get the heads faced before replacement - have a machine shop skim off a few microns and check the surface is flat (not warped). At the very least you have an excellent surface for the new gaskets. Also have them pressure-test for cracks. If you have valves replaced, you have to re-set the rocker clearances too - I hope you marked which of your rocker arm sets were R and which were L :-)

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally???

Now isn't that interesting? How do I know that that isn't my problem in the first place? The whole reason I'm taking the engine apart now is due to those symptoms. The head gasket I've pulled right now shows no detectable damage. If the other head also doesn't seem to show any damage, should I suspect this?

Or do the lower liner seals not blow out like that?