DeLoreans as first cars

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but.....

This is also not directed soley at the gentleman who posted the
original question.

I've noticed a large number of "young people" who claim to desire a
DeLorean as their first vehicle. This just makes me cringe. With only
9,000 or so produced in the first place and fewer on the road every
10 years or so, the thought of these cars in the hands of impatient,
inexperienced people makes me cry.

As Bill Robertson likes to say, we're basically driving glorified
prototypes. They are rolling history. One reason I bought a non-
runner was to put it back on the road in what may be a vain attempt
to increase the population of surviving vehicles.

I'm not a total purist though..I do believe in certain modifications,
especially in the interest of safety and preserving the car from say,
electrical fires and such.

I'm only 31 but I remember 15 years ago how I drove, and how my
friends drove. We were like filthy little primate animals behind the
wheel. My first accident was when I hit a Buick Grand National. I
don't know many "young people" who want the car for it's automotive
historical value versus the fact that it's "shiny" and has cool doors.

All I have to do, is point out my neighborhood as an example. -Every-
time I'm out working on it, some punk in a Honda CRX with a chromed
exhaust tip rolls up and asks: "Dude! Are you selling it? Is it
fast?" When I tell them no, you can see the dissapointment in their
face.

Louie, I do realize that not -all- teens/young people think that way,
so don't get too bent out of shape. I've heard good things about you.

But....I'm sure the original DMC-12 owners, the rich, older crowd
thought the same thing when we 20 and 30 year olds started buying
them...

Just my 2 dirhams.

Rich
#5335 -MD