delorean is a complex machine

In a message dated 5/22/2003 4:50:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
louie@xxxx writes:

> The DeLorean is NOTHING at all like a good old simple American muscle car
> for the '60s or '70s. They're overly complex and EXTREMELY fickle little
> machines.

I would beg to differ with this a bit

Although it is different it is far less complex than a lot of other cars. I
am restoring a Jaguar and that is far more time consuming, expensive and
complicated than the DeLorean. In addition I recently disassembled and
reassembled 2 DeLoreans and in one case in Chicago fired up a car that had
been sitting for 5 years and it started on the first turn of the key and ran
smoothe. My Jag never cooperated that nicely and after 4 years of on again
off again restoration is still not running (mainly due to time)

In restoring cars the DeLorean because of the plastic an Stainless take out
one of the most time consuming parts of the restoration (body work)
As long as the frame is solid the work to restore the rest is mainly a good
cleanup and polish.

As far a sthe engine goes I have seen many messed up DeLoreans mainly by
shops that don't know what they are doing. Recently I took a car considered
to be a basket case to Dave Bauerle and in a matter of a few hours he put
back all the vacuum hoses and took off all the bypasses and turned the key
and it ran perfectly.

Your best bet it to put it back the way it belongs if it doesn't work find
out what was missed because it does work if everything is right and if you
prepare properly.

I find it interesting and can usually troubleshoot or can explain the problem
well enough to one of the service centers to fix it.

I had a wire harness problem (my own fault for it in the first place) and Don
Steger figured it out over the phone in minutes.

Our car may not be a 60's muscke car with an engine attached to a start
switch but it is nowhere near as complicated as some of the other cars out
there.

Ken
vin16684
restored concours entry 3720