Re: delorean is a complex machine

Caveat: I am very fond of my DeLo. Like all cars in the stable, is
unavailable for resale until executor closes my estate. That said:

Louie may be picking up on several comparision issues:

DeLo interior and fittings are less substantial than domestics 10
years earlier. Feel somewhat "cheap" in comparison.

PRV itself has significant access issues compared to older domestic
blocks. Is also more sensitive to vacuum leaks, fuel system anomolies,
etc. DeLo engine compartment is cramped compared to a Javelin or AMX
(hey, it's my post, I get to pick the comparison muscle cars).

Third party mechanics are generally more reluctant to touch a DeLo
than a domestic. Yes, the technology is fairly conventional (torsion
bars notwithstanding), but they don't seem willing to find out. Must
be frustrating when their services are needed.

Cost of DeLo parts is undeniably higher than older domestic parts.
Much higher. (OEM spec, not performance). I maintain 4 70's Lincolns
for cost of 1 DeLorean. Are also no junkyard options.

Welded up DeLorean frame can't touch a good old fashioned cast frame
(careful with this one -- Mustangs are unibody. All AMC's are unibody.
Even suicide door Lincolns are unibody). DeLo body is fairly
impervious to the elements, but frame is not.

Overall cost of DeLo ownership is higher than older domestics. Initial
purchase is higher. Insurance and property taxes are higher. Resto
costs are higher. Even a really nice domestic can cut $20,000 rule 1/2
to 2/3.

I recommend DeLorean ownership. Is especially satisfying to drive an
honest to goodness historical piece. Nevertheless, are many times I
look its little silver roof to the Lincolns in the background and say
to myself "thank God for Ford Motor Company".

Bill Robertson