Re: [DML] Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

I always get a kick out of this. Just recently at the Midwest Connection Tech
Session, I saw a group of young kids going around to each car seeing which had
the speedo with the top speed, as though that was an inidcator of which was the
fastest car.

Remember, just because the speedo only goes up to 85 (as all stock DMCs for the
US market did) doesn't mean that's as fast as she goes. As I understand it,
the 85MPH speedo was required by the federal government in 1981 as some sort of
pollution thing. I suppose it was to discourage driving too fast (??). The
actual top speed of the DeLorean is said to be about 130MPH.

It should be noted that replacement speedos are available if you know where to
look. Replace the guage and have it recalibrated by a professional.

Jake Kamphoefner
(Had a great time in Chicago)

Quoting rrouya <RRouya@xxxx>:

> I was looking for a Delorean to buy when I saw a pic of the
> speedometer. The top speed is only 85 MPH???!! Whats up with that?
> Isnt that freakin slow as hell?

SIUE Web Mail