Re: [DML] Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

I guess that depends on your point of view. I'm sure your local neighborhood highway patrolman probably wouldn't think it was that slow. (haha)

In the early 1980's the US Government had the bright idea that if you only made speedometers go up to 85, then people wouldn't drive any faster than that. It didn't work, and was eventually repealed, but every car made for a period in the 1980s, for the american road, has a top speedometer reading of 85 mph. The DeLorean's actual factory setup top speed is around 130. If this bothers you that much, you can buy reproduction speedometers with 140 or 170 mph readouts. Really just an ego thing if you think about it though.

This has been covered before on the list...it would probably be a good idea to research the archives to learn more about the car before making a purchasing decision.

Good luck,
Josh Haldeman
VIN 5102
VIN 15964

rrouya wrote:

I was looking for a Delorean to buy when I saw a pic of the speedometer. The top speed is only 85 MPH???!! Whats up with that? Isnt that freakin slow as hell?