Re: [DML] Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

[MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD! So many DMLers are responding to correct the 85 MPH misconception that message are coming in faster than I can approve them. Time to call the question answered. Sorry, but I'm rejecting the rest of the messages and closing this thread. - Mike Substelny, DML moderating team]

Top speed of a stock DeLorean is more on the order of 130mph. The federal
government mandated 85 mph speedos in cars from the early 80's. I had a 82
Mustang GT and it only had an 85mph speedo in it also. I used to peg it all
the time. GM sorta bypassed things with the 'vette IIRC. I think they used
a 140mph speedo but only put the numbers on it up to 85mph. Just the
increment lines the rest of the way up. I think the government's idea on
this was that if you couldn't see how fast you were going you wouldn't
drive that fast. Dumb idea and it went away a couple of years later.

There are some different speedo conversion kits out there if you think you
need one.

Mark N
VIN 6820