Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

The laws of the United States, in that era, required a maximum
"indicated" speed of 85 mph for all vehicles certified for sale in the
US. This was a result of the nationwide 55 mph speed limit after the
big oil crisis. I guess that the theory was that if the speedometer
showed a "top end" of 85 mph, then we would naturally want to go 55
mph. I had a 1981 Suzuki GS850G motorcycle that could go 130 mph, but
had the same speedometer limitation. There are a couple of retrofit
kits that change the speedo face to 140 mph or 170 mph, with
appropriate ratio adjustments to the speedo drive system. BTW -
Winged1 has been to a calculated top speed of about 138 mph - the
charts in the latest issue of Gullwing magazine are useful in doing
the math, based on RPM in various gears.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1