cooling system is being a pain. Info would help please

cooling system is being a pain. Info would help please

ok everybody ready here we go. my car overheated a while ago and
haven't had time to work on it until now. I have drained the system
and added new coolant and a new otterstat switch thinking that my
fans were not working( when the car overheated I forgot to check to
see if the fans were on). I started the car and the temp guage went
almost up to the 220 mark rapidly and the fans never came on so I
shut off the car and let it sit. I bypassed the otterstat switch so
the fans would run continuously and started it up. now the temp guage
stays right at the second line(the one above 100) but it seems that
the engine is still getting hotter. I am afraid to find out if is
getting hotter and the temp guage just isn't working. I am not sure
if I bleed the system right or if I am sucking in air. I have read
all the ways to bleed the system but keep getting things confused. I
am also not sure why my fans aren't coming on when they are supposed
to. any help with this would be more than helpful. Thank you
cdmcali (4626)