Re: cooling system is being a pain. Info would help please

Re: cooling system is being a pain. Info would help please

With the motor running remove the pressure cap before it gets hot.
Look inside and you should see the coolant moving. If it is, bleeding
isn't the problem. The fans should come on when the otterstadt switch
gets hot enough, if it doesn't it is bad. If you have the old style
pipe with the switch on top replace it with the newer version with the
switch on the bottom. If the engine was overheated enough you may have
damaged the head gaskets, one symptom is overheating and another is
the passing of combustion gasses into the cooling system so you can
never completly bleed the air out as it is constantly getting more.
Can be confirmed by putting a coolant pressure tester on the car and
watching the pressure rise. Check the dipstick and the breather for
any sign of moisture. A compression test may also be needed to confirm
at the least pull the spark plugs and examine them. If the engine was
severly overheated the oil and filter should also be changed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757