Re: [DML] Long term viewpoint

In the long run, I think the modified Deloreans may be worth more than the stock ones.

There will always be purists who want a totally stock car. However, there is an equally large population that wants a performance car. Just look at the prices of older muscle cars. The non stock ones with big block engines command much higher prices, than numbers matching small block low horse power cars.

The turbo deloreans that copy the planned factory set up may be the most desirable. However, the upgraded engine cars, depending upon how well they are done, might become even more desirable because of off the line performance..

Just compare the value of V8 Fieros to 4 and 6 cylinder Fieros. Even though GM never offered a V8, guess which ones are worth the most?

The main difference with a Delorean is that the illusion that it is a high performance vehicle is immortalized in the Back to the Future movies. For example,
Just give a GT350 paint job to a 65 Fastback mustang (with a 6 cylinder) and people think it is a hot rod. It is the known illusion of the high performance decor.

For other hot rodders, performance was tried directly to the big displacement engine with the corresponding exterior decor packages.

What we need is more consistency and documentation of power upgrades and the recognition that the Delorean can be a performance car. This is the gap that our magazines need to fill.