Re: Oil Leak and Timing Pulley

Plan on replacing the seal that goes around/behind the harmonic
balancer i.e. the thing that has the timing marks on it. The seal is
driven into the cover. You will also probably find that the surface
of the balancer that rides on that seal is corroded, this of course
wears on the seal and the new one will also leak in short order. It
is a good idea to clean up that surface, it should be like a mirror.
Depending on how bad it is, this either means cleaning it up with
some emery cloth, turning it on a lathe (not very much!), putting a
sleeve on it, or just replacing it.

I see the same problem all the time on axle flanges, but since the
axle oil level is below the level of the seal, and no appreciable
pressure is involved, axle seal leakage is not usually too much of a
problem.

Dave Swingle