Re: [DML] Any ideas re: new wheels?

In a message dated 4/21/03 10:57:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
samcard@xxxx writes:

> I bought my Delorean new in 83. I recently had it restored to factory
> fresh...it was in great shape going in and looks excellent now.
> Problem is that I didn't redo wheels and they are shedding paint
> chips and need redone which I understand is expensive. And I am
> wondering if some sweet new chrome or aluminium wheels might look
> better. Maybe even those crazy ones that keep spinning at stops. Any
> suggestions will be welcomes and appreciated.

In my opinion (and it seems most DML'ers AND non-D owners i meet at shows),
the factory wheels are really nice and match the car well. pretty much every
person i've met at a show who started talking about wheels have said that the
D's factory wheels are pretty darn good for factory..... even if you do try
to get new wheels, it will take time getting spacers and other such things
custom-made because of the wheels' odd geometry. i would stick with the
original style myself.

i would personally stay away from any type of powdercoating or painting of
the wheels. in my experience, commercial wheel cleaners will eat up the
clear coat, allowing the chrome flake in the powdercoat to oxidize. gassing
out is a problem too.

the best solution, in my opinion, it to swap your wheels with DMC houston for
some of their machined or polished finish wheels. they look killer.

andy