Update#3. Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

Update#3. Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

If plug #6 has soot deposits (they are dry?), it is getting fuel. It
just isn't burning it very well.

1) Do a compression test on cylinder #6 (you want to compare to the
other cylinders). If it differs significantly, you've got ring
problems or an oval shaped cylinder.

2) Make sure cylinder #6 threads aren't cross threaded or otherwise
damaged by "crooked" plug. You need a tight fit for compression.

3) Once you've installed some decent new plugs (c'mon, they're only
$7-$8 a set), use a timing light at the plug to see how it's firing.

4) Observe injector #6 spray pattern. All you need is one empty coke
bottle. Use the procedure in message #32067, less actual screw
adjustment (don't forget to plug the empty injector port!).

That should be enough to keep you busy on a Sunday afternoon. Let us
know what you find...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx> wrote:
> I realize that "Mechanic in a Bottle" doesn't exist. What I was
looking for was
> "Bribe in a Bottle" to pass the emissions testing! ;-p Of course I
am admittedly
> kicking my self twice over now. 1: I wasted money, and 2. The
disclaimer for
> the "Will allow your car to pass, or double your money back!*" *Only
> guaranted on vehicles with properly funtioning emissions, and fuel
systems.
> Doh!
>
> Anywho. I pulled the sparkplugs, and have discovered that plugs 1-3
show
> normal characteristics, although 4&5 had much less carbon on them. This
> could be due to the detergents and solvents that were run thru, I
don't know.
> And then we come to plug #6, which was dry fowled. Unlike the others
plugs,
> on this one the only place where carbon deposits had not covered
anything
> was on the tips of the electrodes where the spark was arcing.
Although on a