Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> Once again, I have failed my annual smog test! 935 HCppm @ idle,
and 1135
> @ 2500 RPMs.
>
> Any help, or at least ideas would be greatly appriciated!
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"

Hi Robert.

These points come to mind. Normally I only pass on hard data, but
since you specifically asked for help, or at least ideas, here goes.

1. The car should be warmed up, so the catalytic convertor is up to
temperature. The warmup period is useful in purging the hydrocarbons
in the charcoal canister, too. The longer the car waits between
getting it to the station and putting it in the test bed, the more
impact the cooling of the catalytic converter will have. There is
data to support this. I don't have it.

2. Changing the oil immediately before testing supposedly helps, by
dissolving the free hydrocarbons. I've heard this many times, but
seen no data.

3. This is just my own speculation: I should think that a gasoline
with a higher percentage of MtBE, which, as an ether, contains
oxygen, would cause more complete combustion of the hydrocarbons
(this is, after all, what this additive is intended to do). This
being so, one could fill up the tank with premium, which tends to
have more MtBE, unless you're in California. This should reduce the
hydrocarbon content of the exhaust.

Good luck.

Rick