Re: [DML] Gas Tank Cleaning/Flushing

Hello Mike,
I had to do the same thing with my car but it had been sitting since
1983. Pick a day when you are really stoked to work on the car and want to
do things right. First remove the fuel, fuel pump/boot and fuel tank sender.
Drop the fuel tank closing plate and pull the tank out, I had to use a pry
bar to gently pry it out from the frame (jumping on it from the trunk works)
Remove everything from the fuel tank and fill the tank with tons of
spare change or hard rocks along with some type of degreaser (Biodegradable
products work fine, for all the treehuggers out there) & warm water. Go to a
local power wash, swish the tank around for 5 minutes, scrub with a brush,
and then blast it out with soap for a few minutes and see how it looks after
rinsing several times. I have washed 3 DMC tanks this way. The fuel tanks
look brand new inside every time. If there are stubborn spots you can use a
scotch brite pad, but rinse it out good.
Continue removing the fuel filter, accumulator, and all rubber hoses
from accumulator forward along with all tank components. It is not that
expensive to replace those parts and they should be replaced if they are the
originals. I ordered every single fuel system part from the accumulator
forward (minus tank & steel lines) and it wasn't that expensive and now I can
drive without worrying. Use stainless steel hardware & an aluminum filter in
the tank and you will be good for a long time.
Some say you don't have to remove the tank to get it clean. Wiping
the tank out with rags is a bad idea if you tank is quite dirty like mine
was. If you took it all apart you can put it back together I hope. I just
drove 27 hrs and I'm about ready to pass out, I hope this made sense. Good
luck to you

Peace

Dave,
MI,