Re: [DML] Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

Re: [DML] Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

I was involved in emission testing of cars for years. .The was before it became mandatory for testing in big cities. I opposed this testing because on a cost effective basis it was cheaper to pay people to use public transportation than to test everyones cars.

However, laws rarely make any sense scientifically.

In regard to your car, you don't say what the CO levels were. Assuming you cat converter is in good shape this should have passed.

Given you HC numbers it sure looks like an ignition problem. Do you still use the original ignition coil? If so, this may be the problem. Clearly, it has a higher rpm miss, similar to what has been shown in testing of cars on the dyno.

A faulty coil (with some partially shorted windings) works but does not recharge properly at higher rpm.

Changing the coil to a high energy 40,000 volt Bosch type or similar will make your car run better than new.

Also, additing alcohol (with its higher oxygen content) will cause the emission tests results to improve. This is the additive used to dissolve water during the winter time.

Lastly, try a different emission testing station if you can. The calibration at each station, even though it is supposed to be the same, isn't.

Removing the air cleaner filter may also help. Just for the test.