Re: Front lower control arm replacement

Knut - What a great post ... you da man! I did want to clarify that
it is technically possible to correct caster errors if they are
sufficient to cause handling problems. If the caster differs more
than 1/2 degree from one side to the other, you will notice that the
car is directionally "twitchy" - a lane change can happen by just
thinking about it. Winged1 had an error that was right at 1/2 degree,
and I considered the car to be "quick into a turn" - a matter of
perspective, I suppose. You can change caster by adding shim washers
between the rubber donut bushings and the lower control arm. Add
shims on one side of the LCA interface, and it will shift the caster
value. Since your caster values are fairly close, you're good to go.
Thanks for giving us the scoop on the SS lower control arms, and also
the great explanation of the various suspension parameters. If you
happen to have the old LCA that broke, I wouldn't mind getting ahold
of it, and having a peek at the fracture surfaces. We might learn
something more about the failure. Please advise if that would be of
interest to you.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud@xxxx>