Re: Front lower control arm replacement

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> A very informative post. Just 2 quick questions, did you weigh the
> origional and the S/S arms to see what the difference is?

> And how did the alignment set up (you did go to a front end
> shop and have the alignment checked didn't you?)

> I would also keep an eye on the bushing that went in loose.
> Maybe a spot of paint or nail polish as a witness mark...

I did not explicitly weight the control arms, but the new arms were
noticeably heavier than the originals. The weight of the originals
and of the stainless replacements is not substantial in either case,
and the arms are a few pounds each.

I have been monitoring the bushing to ensure there is no motion
since I had one press fit that was not as tight as I would have
preferred. Your suggestion to mark it is a good one that I will make
use of.

As you note, any time you do work on the suspension that has the
potential to change the geometry, it is important to have the
alignment checked/corrected. The following are the alignment figures
from my realignment with the new control arms.

LEFT RIGHT
TOE -0.02" -0.02"
CASTER 3.67deg 3.84deg
CAMBER 1.36deg 0.01deg

As most folks are aware, only the TOE is adjustable when performing
an alignment and all the other parameters are fixed by the geometry
of the setup. In case some folks are not aware of the exact meaning
of the three common alignment parameters, here is a brief tutorial
(and my commentary on my specific values):

TOE: This refers to whether the two wheels are parallel to each
other along the direction of travel. If the wheels are "cross eyed"
it's referred to as "toe-in" and if they are "wall-eyed" it's toe-
out. Most alignments are set up for zero toe. The 20/1000th error in
my alignment is in the noise as there is that much variance in the
wheel rims to which the alignment equipment is attached. Since this
is adjustable you'd expect that this can be adjusted to yield good
values.

CASTER: This refers to whether the axis about which the wheels pivot
for steering is vertical (i.e. perpendicular to the road surface).
The caster is affected by any modification in the ride height of the
front of the car, and if you lower your front a little the caster
will also change since the car will not be parallel to the ground
any longer. I don't have the alignment report from my previous
alignment, so I cann't tell if the caster has changed, but the
caster measurement is reasonable in light of the DeLorean's overall
configuration (larger wheels in the back) and the fact that my front
is slightly lowered.

CAMBER: This refers to whether the front wheels are closer together
at the bottoms than at their tops. As you can tell from my readout,
the camber of my left front wheel is different from my right (it is
perfect on the right side). A positive camber as measured for me
indicates that the bottom of the wheel is closer to the centerline
of the car than the top of the wheel is. This positive camber will
tend to make the car pull to the left (the car will drift towards
the side with the most positive camber).

Because the camber problem coincides with the side of my car that
had the catastrophic control arm failure, it is possible that the
discrepancy is due to a deflection of the mounts caused by the
failure rather than due to a tolerance issue with the new control
arms. I'll be taking my car to a frame shop to see about any
straightening of the structural mounts (we're talking pretty small
amounts of correction).

The slight camber offset I have is not noticeable in any pull of the
wheel, and my car tracks perfectly straight. I'm not sure what
effect the weight of the driver in the car has on the overall
geometry, since the alignment is usually done with noone in the car
(and most cars are driven with at least the driver in the car). With
the driver in the car, the driver's side suspension will compress a
little bit, and depending on the geometry of the suspension travel,
this may impact the effective alignment while the driver is in the
car. I'm also not sure if the camber changes with suspension travel
for the DeLorean geometry (in some setups it is common for the wheel
to tilt inward at the top slightly as the spring is compressed in
order to provide good tire contact with the road during cornering).

Overall the car feels good to drive and it tracks straight without
any drift and without any pull of the wheel. Because most roads
around here are not perfect, it's difficult to make any real
determination based on the feel since, the crown in the road likely
has more effect on perceived alignment than the variance I have in
my setup.

Knut