Re: [DML] Tellus Carriers

 > Found some information on the web about those >infamous Tellus carriers
used
> during DeLorean assembly.
>
> http://www.agvp.com/cv%20automotive%20truck.htm
>
> Best Wishes,
> Mike P

The Tellus carriers have been talked about as the greatest innovation since
the assembly line. In reality they have many drawbacks. In DeLorean's case
they worked great. The plus side meant that expensive conveyor systems
didn't need to be installed. One could easily pull a unit out of sequence if
anything needed to be corrected. That and any rerouting of assembly
operations in the future would only require moving the guidance wires in the
floor. The major drawback with this system is that it's not very compatible
with automation. We experimented with a similar system at our Ford plant
using carriers built by Volvo. Robots, for example, can be repeatable within
a few thousands of an inch with body spot welds and fixtured machines that
tighten various subassemblies can be reliable IF a carrier stops in exactly
the same place every time. Put a spot of oil on the floor, embed a screw in
a carrier wheel or any number of other possibilities and the carrier misses
it's stop and even a small fraction means the fixed position automation misses
its mark. From what I saw of the DeLorean plant, that type of automation
wasn't a part of the system. That and the fact that no paint facility was
needed made things much less expensive to set up and operate. With the
low production level that was planned, the whole operation was very well
thought out. If they ever got to the point where they required production levels
anywhere near what many plants produce today, say 50 to 80 units per hour,
I suspect the Tellus carriers would have been phased out.

Bruce Benson