Re: [DML] Re: brakes need bleeding again?

Re: [DML] Re: brakes need bleeding again?

David,

I agree with you on starting with the closet cylinder first. I have heard of the other way, but never could under stand it. I don't even like the idea of "pumping up" the brakes. All this does is solublelize small bubbles of air that can later coalesce and soften or lower the brake pedal.

I start with the shortest run. IMHO this minimizes dissolved air as you work you way back.

Had a friend last year who could not get the brakes to bleed on his Met. He tried and tried with the longest run first. I told him to do the shorten run first and the first time it worked.

Had a new college automotive kid stop by asking about brake bleeding. His teacher had taught him to do the longest first. I told him to challenge the teacher to explain why this is the "right" way to do it. His reponse was because the book say so. :-D He didn't know why.

My theory is that if you are pressure bleeding this can work. However, if you are doing the "up and down" two person method, you create a slight vacuum when you take you foot off the pedal. This dissolve air into the front brake lines so that when you bleed them you leave some air in and have a soft pedal.

Starting at the back just doesn't make sense to me, unless someone has a good explanation.

BOB