Re: Help with Speedometer

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys, here's my problem...
>
> Just got my Delorean. It's VIN 2944 Aug 81 build date with black
> interior and an auto.
>
> Shorly after I got the car the spedometer started to work
> intermitantly. Eventually it just stopped. I ordered a new lower
> speedo cable and installed it. It was the braded stainless steel one
> from specialtauto in Wash. However after istalling it the darn
> speedometer still doesn't work.
<SNIP>

It's a problem with either the angle drive, or the dust cap on the
wheel hub. If you pull the wheel, and the dust cap, it should have a
square hole. This is what turns the input shaft on the angle drive,
and makes the whole system work. It has been said that fails when the
square hole begins to round itself out, and will lose grip of the
input shaft. This was half true in my case. The square hole did begin
to round out, but the cap itself also seemed to have shrank. When I
installed the new cap, it had a far tighter fit into the hub, and
wouldn't spin unless I forced it.

A very easy repair, and an inexpensive one @ around $15 for the dust cap.

>From my personal experience, I have never had an angle drive fail on
me, so I don't know if there are any specific symptoms, sounds, or
tell-tale signs. However, when my dust cap failed, it began to operate
quite sporadicly, and then became totally intermidant. It was a slow
process, and not a sudden one.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"