[DML] Re: Power dip and fan fail problems

[DML] Re: Power dip and fan fail problems

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP>
> As far as the cooling fans.Yes they draw a lot of current when they come on
> for a millisecond or two. But the fans running longer or not cycling or wired
> to run all the time never gives the wire any cooling time and hence the wire
> melts or gets so hot it's on the border of melting. I have had two calls in
> the last two weeks on factory original fan fail jumpers melting and causing a
> fire in the relay compartment. If you want to avoid this problem I would
> advise you re evaluate the factory jumper and consider another product.
>
> I am installing a Thermal circuit breaker on the Fan Fix for the melt down
> problem.
> If your interested in this feature please email. John@xxxx
>
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

My factory jumper had some discoloration when I first got my car. A few
months ago, I noticed that my engine wasn't cooling fast enough, and
inspected the jumper wire. Lo and behiold, the fuse holders were melted.
They were the only two fuses I had never replaced. I will eventually install one
of the aftermarket replacements, but in the meantime, I punched together
another jumper from parts I got @ Wal Mart. Can't tell the difference between
the two. After installing, the wires did indeed stay noticeably cooler. I've had to
bypass a few wires in my car's electrical system on a couple of occasions, so
I'm worndering if this isn't perhaps just a case of years of neglect coupled with
old age. It could be coincidence, or imagination, but even after replacing my
engine ECU, I had a bit smoother idle and pick-up from the engine.

In the meantime, if running the cooling fans constantly may cause a problem
with the wiring, then perhaps I'll just go ahead and bypass the main harness
all together, and run dedicated, lower gague wires to the fans directly. That
way I could totally isolate the cooling fan power circuit from the car entirely. I'd
rather do this, than keep straining the car with such frequent power
fluctuations.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"