Re: [DML] car mysteriously died

Andy,

The relay on the fire wall is explained under general reference on my web
site. It will effect the starting but not the running. You can actually do
without it if you move the wire from the solenoid wire over to the right side
of the resister. It's the blue/yellow wire.

The pulse coil will do what your talking about as well as the ignition coil,
but when these cut the car off they have to cool down for about 30 min to 1
hour before the car will start back up. And if it was running OK before then
it would continue to do so.

The other two things that will do what your talking about is the connection
on top of the Idle speed motor, either a wire is broke in the connector or
the connector isn't making good connection.

The 02 setting could be to low so when you go to a stop the control plunger
is going to low. This can also be caused by the set screw has backed out from
the striker plate and the throttle body lever is going to far down shutting
of the air /fuel.

Last thing I can think of the micro switch, either bad wires or bad switch.
If the idle speed motor doesn't turn on when the peddle goes down and the
idle speed motor doesn't turn on, the it will die.

My first choice would be the connection on the Idle speed motor.

John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com

<< with this in
mind, the next time the car ran i put my hand on the fuel pump (which
sounded
just fine), i found that the pump didn't shut off until the car had
completely shut down. it would buzz until everything else was dead. not
sure
what exactly that helps determine. then checked my ignition wires again and
i pulled the relay out of the socket which is right next to the ignition
resistor. then i tried starting the car and this time it ran and didn't
quit! i drove it home.

any idea if this relay was coincidence? what does it do? any other ideas?