Re: 1 BAR = 14.7 PSI

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Brandys <BobB@xxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone verify that the struts are actually 2400 psi..
>
> I find this difficult to believe.
> BOB

Hi Bob.

I'm with you on that. I also found it difficult to believe. A while
back I measured the relaxed and compressed forces produced by four
different struts.

The range was 260-290 pounds relaxed to 405-445 pounds compressed.
At first I thought it would be impossible to determine the gas
pressure without taking a strut apart to determine the cross-
sectional area of the piston, but it turns out the piston has holes,
that allow the gas to act on both sides of the piston. The way
they're designed, the pressure only acts on the cross section of the
10mm rod which has an area on only 0.121 square inch.

This translates to gas pressure of 2130psi-2380psi relaxed to 3330psi-
3660psi compressed. Unbelievable but true.

Rick Gendreau